About the Foundation for Public Code

Taking leave

This guide

The Foundation for Public Code offers 2 types of voluntary leave: vacation leave and emergency leave.

We consider sickness to be involuntary leave - read more about time off for illness.


You need to plan your vacation together with your direct colleagues and your manager. Please add your vacation to your calendar so that colleagues don’t invite you to meetings or events.

Staff have a limited amount of vacation days. Make sure to take all vacation days off every year. More days can be bought at cost rate with agreement from your manager and hr@publiccode.net.

How to request vacation leave

  1. Log in to your Tentoo NMBRS ESS (employee self service) account. If you haven’t received a login, request one at hr@publiccode.net.
  2. Open the menu and select ‘Leave’.
  3. Press ‘New Request’.
  4. Select ‘More than one day’ or ‘One day’.
  5. Select the start and end date of your leave.
  6. Check whether the total hours is right.
  7. Fill in a description.
  8. Press send.

The leave can now be approved by your manager.

Sick while on vacation leave

If you are sick while on leave, report it. This makes sure you get the vacation days you didn’t get to use while sick back.

Emergency leave for personal matters

Employees may get emergency leave for urgent, unforeseen or special personal circumstances. Emergency leave can last from a few hours to a few days, depending on the situation. Emergency leave is paid leave and is separate from vacation.

Please ask your manager for emergency leave as soon as possible (and not longer than 24 hours after leaving) in order to discuss the terms.

Emergency leave is not requested or logged through Tentoo NMBRS ESS (employee self service).

Short-term care leave

Short-term care leave can be taken to provide essential care to ill parents, children who still live at home or partners. However, this leave is only granted on the condition that you are the only person who can look after the ill person at that moment in time. During the period of leave, you receive 70% of your salary.

Long-term leave

If your child, partner or parent is seriously (i.e. life threateningly) ill and requires care, you can request long-term care leave. During this period of leave, you do not receive a salary.