To enable public-purpose software and policy that is open and collaborative.
- We are a non-profit and non-partisan organization.
- We publish under licenses approved by the Open Source Initiative or Creative Commons licenses that do not limit commercial reuse.
- We are controlled by our members, who are wholly publicly controlled organizations.*
- We strive to keep our membership as accessible as possible to potential members, regardless of size or location.
- We are committed to working with other organizations (commercial or non-profit) to achieve our mission.
- We prioritize long term sustainability and growth for the benefit of our members.
- Our work is open by default and welcomes contributions.
The founding principles were adopted by the board of directors on 23 August 2019.
* In order to start as an association 4 initial individual founders will play the role of member until there are enough public members for the organization to sustain itself.
The current priorities of the organization are set by the board of directors and reviewed every meeting.
On 29 April 2020, the priorities were set as:
- Members: get public organizations to join the association
- Codebases: get codebases into stewardship
- Funding: secure funding for the next years