About the Foundation for Public Code

Taking leave

This guide


  1. Vacation
    1. How to request vacation leave
    2. Buying more vacation time or deduct from next year’s quota
    3. Sick while on vacation leave
  2. Emergency leave for personal matters
  3. Short-term care leave
  4. Long-term leave

The Foundation for Public Code offers 2 types of voluntary leave: vacation leave and emergency leave.

We consider sickness to be involuntary leave - read more about time off for illness.


You need to plan your vacation together with your direct colleagues and your manager. Please add your vacation to your calendar so that colleagues don’t invite you to meetings or events.

Staff have a limited amount of vacation days. Make sure to take all vacation days off every year. More days can be bought at cost rate with agreement from your manager and hr@publiccode.net.

How to request vacation leave

If you have a Tentoo NMBRS account:

  1. Log in to your Tentoo NMBRS ESS (employee self service) account.
  2. Open the menu and select ‘Leave’.
  3. Press ‘New Request’.
  4. Select ‘More than one day’ or ‘One day’.
  5. Select the start and end date of your leave.
  6. Check whether the total hours is right.
  7. Fill in a description.
  8. Press send.

If you do not have an account, email your manager directly.

The leave can now be approved by your manager.

Buying more vacation time or deduct from next year’s quota

Firstly, you can see how much leave you have when logging into your Tentoo NMBRS account. Navigate to the “leave” section on your dashboard.

Please let the operations coordinator know if you want to take more vacation time than you have and if you want the additional leave to be deducted from next year’s quota (Tentoo NMBRS does this automatically) or if you want to buy more days.

When buying more vacation time you need to fill out a form approving the deduction from your salary. After the form is signed and received by the operations coordinator the amount will be deducted in the upcoming salary run, or the salary run of the period where the extra time off is taken.

You may also want to know what extra vacation time actually costs:

Take your “uurloon” hourly salary (which excludes vacation) from your payslip. Multiply that by 8 hours to get the gross day salary. Then “bijzonder tarief” is deducted (37,35 + 11,67 % = 49,02 %). “Bijzonder tarief, tarief BT or “special tax rate” is a % of “loonheffing” of the wage tax. The special wage tax rate is the tax rate that is applied for non-recurring remunerations, such as a one-time payment of unused vacation days. This rate also applies to this use case.

An example:

  • Hourly salary: €29,38 x 8 hours = €235,04 (gross day salary)
  • Bijzonder tarief: €235,04 * 0.4902 = €115,21
  • Deduct the bijzonder tarief from the gross day salary: €235,04 - €115,21 = €119,38
  • Net day salary: €119,38 - this is the amount that will be deducted for each day you buy

Sick while on vacation leave

If you are sick while on leave, report it. This makes sure you get the vacation days you didn’t get to use while sick back.

Emergency leave for personal matters

Employees may get emergency leave for urgent, unforeseen or special personal circumstances. Emergency leave can last from a few hours to a few days, depending on the situation. Emergency leave is paid leave and is separate from vacation.

Please ask your manager for emergency leave as soon as possible (and not longer than 24 hours after leaving) in order to discuss the terms.

Emergency leave is not requested or logged through Tentoo NMBRS ESS (employee self service).

Short-term care leave

Short-term care leave can be taken to provide essential care to ill parents, children who still live at home or partners. However, this leave is only granted on the condition that you are the only person who can look after the ill person at that moment in time. During the period of leave, you receive 70% of your salary.

Long-term leave

If your child, partner or parent is seriously (i.e. life threateningly) ill and requires care, you can request long-term care leave. During this period of leave, you do not receive a salary.