The strategic council is a group of individual advisors that help the Foundation for Public Code board of directors with key strategic decisions as well as serve as ambassadors for its mission.
To encourage meeting efficiency, the strategic council has maximum 5 members. This number may be changed by the board of directors if necessary.
Members of the strategic council
- Leslie Hawthorn, chair (Manager - Vertical Community Strategy, Red Hat Open Source Program Office)
- Gabriella Gómez-Mont (Principal at Experimentalista, former Chief Creative Officer of Mexico City)
Membership of the strategic council
Members of the strategic council are expected to:
- advise the board of directors or general assembly on strategic matters
- serve as a public ambassador for the organization and its mission
- follow along with briefings sent by the board of directors
- participate in the council’s (email) discussions
- propose new strategic council members based on the Foundation’s needs at the time
This is a voluntary role and non-remunerated.
These are the steps for appointing a new strategic council member.
- Potential new strategic council members are either invited to apply by the Foundation for Public Code, or may nominate themselves.
- To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your motivation and qualifications.
- Foundation staff and the board have an initial discussion with the applicant to confirm mutual understanding of the role and interest.
- The board of directors invites new members to join the strategic council.
- After accepting the role, the member is added to the strategic council.
Membership duration and end of membership
Strategic council appointments are for 1 year. Strategic council members can be reappointed repeatedly.
Membership of the strategic council can be ended at any time in writing by either the strategic council member or the board of directors.
This commitment is estimated to be an average of 15 minutes per week. The strategic council has a private mailing list for members. It also has a quarterly meeting.