Through Codebase Stewardship we help public source code & policy code products become successful by guaranteeing their marketability and quality. Trustworthy, usable, maintained and sustainable code & code for your city.
We provide the following for products, projects and codebases under our stewardship:
- Codebase Auditing: Code, policy and documentation quality assurance
- Community management: processing feedback and contributions, events
- Productization services: branding, communication, refactoring for reuse
- Packaging, distributing official versions, compatibility updating
- Marketing, communications, public relations
- Developer advocacy, user support, end-user success, training materials
- Operations: Project infrastructure, process management
- Legal services: IP management, trademark protection
Making collaboration across contexts possible
We provide these services explicitly at ecosystem level – not at a national or city level – to make sure that context specific code or policy does not become a barrier to implementation. This means that we make sure that code is reusable across contexts globally.
For local implementations we collaborate with local implementation partners, working actively with them to both integrate effectively in the local context while simultaneously making it easier for others to implement as well.
Providing long term product sustainability
One of the biggest barriers to uptake of Open Source code & code is the unpredictable nature of maintainers.
Products in the care of the Foundation For Public Code have long term sustainability so that prospective users can trust there will be packages when they need to update their systems and that there will be someone to receive their Pull Request after the original maintainers have moved on.
We provide this sustainability in the first place by creating strong communities of users and developers that can take ownership over the product.